Recipe for Grill sandwich
Prep time: 15-20 minutes Cooking time: 5-7 minutes Serves: 3-4 people
Special sandwich masala Ingredients:
- Whole spices Jeera (cumin seeds) 2 tbsp
- Cloves 1 tsp Peppercorns 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 1 tbsp
- Amchur powder 1 tbsp
- Anardana powder 1 tbsp
- Ginger powder ½ tsp
- Hing ½ tsp
- Black salt 1 tbsp
- Salt 4 tbsp
- Set a pan on medium heat, add the whole spice, dry roast them until fragrant, take it off from the gas and allow it to cool down. Transfer the roasted spices to a grinding jar, further add the powdered spices and salt, grind it well into a fine powder.
- Your special sandwich masala is ready, use it accordingly and store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- Please do make this masala to give your sandwich it’s distinct flavor, as the vegetables are bland in taste and this special sandwich masala has more of salt content which balances the flavor, if you do not wish to stretch the process of making this you can simply add 2 parts of chaat masala and 1 part of salt, this will do the work.
For making special spicy sandwich chutney Ingredients:
- Fresh Coriander leaves 1 big bunch
- Spinach 6-7 leaves (blanched)
- Green chillies 10-12 nos.
- Garlic 5-6 cloves
- Fresh Curry leaves 10-12 nos.
- Sandwich masala ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Roasted chana dal 1 tbsp
- Ice cubes
- Wash the coriander leaves well and transfer it to the grinding jar, you can also choose to use coriander stems as they too are full of flavours, add the remaining ingredients, grind well into a fine paste.
- Make sure the chutney should be thick enough to apply on the bread. Your chutney is ready to be used as a spread on your sandwich, you can also store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for couple of days.
- You must have noticed the quantity of chillies used is too much for making this special spicy sandwich chutney, but this gives the special character to the sandwich, reason being, there’s lot of moisture in the chutney so the chefs and the street vendors just apply it little bit so the sandwich gets its spicy taste and they don’t have to apply too much which apparently makes the bread soggy.
- Tip: street vendors use breadcrumbs to thicken the chutney, but as we are making this back at home chana dal is a perfect substitute to thicken the chutney. If you wish to add breads to it, you can add one bread slice to make it thick.
For sandwich special garlic chutney Ingredients:
- Kashmiri red chillies 8-10 nos. (soaked)
- Spicy red chillies 8-10 nos. (soaked)
- Garlic 8-10 cloves
- Jeera powder 1 tsp
- Black salt ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice of 1 lemon Water as required
- Add all the ingredients in a grinding jar and grind to a fine paste, adjust the consistency by adding water, make sure the consistency is not too thin as the bread will absorb the moisture while applying over it and eventually make the sandwich soggy.
- If in case the chutney becomes thin just add few pieces of bread slice and it’ll be thick in texture.
- Keep aside in the fridge until you apply for making sandwich.
Assembly for making grilled sandwich Ingredients:
- Sandwich bread slices
- Soft Butter
- Sandwich special green chutney
- Sandwich special red garlic chutney
- Sandwich special masala
- Potatoes (boiled)
- Firstly, before assembling or making the sandwich, finely chop the onions & capsicum & thinly slice the tomatoes. I’m using triangle bread for making the typical street style grilled sandwich, you can choose to use simple bread available
- start by applying butter on one side of the bread slice, further apply green chutney
- now grate 1 medium size boiled potato over the bread slice
- sprinkle some sandwich masala add some chopped onions & some more sandwich masala
- now, take another bread slice
- apply butter on both the sides and apply green chutney on one side and red chutney on other side
- place the green chutney side facing the onion side, place the tomato slices over the red garlic chutney side & sprinkle some sandwich masala
- add some chopped capsicum and sprinkle some more sandwich masala
- grate some processed cheese over it and apply butter and green chutney on another bread slice
- close it to make sandwich
- Heat the griller or a grill pan until its hot,
- apply butter on the sandwich and grill on both the sides until the grill marks appear and its golden brown in color.
- You can tweak the addition of the ingredients as per your preference and can also grill on normal pan.
- Serve hot with, ketchup, green chutney or red garlic chutney and some potato chips on side.