Recipe for Aloo Tikki Burger
Prep time: 1 hour Cooking time: 20 mins Serves: 4-6
For creamy tangy mayo Ingredients:
- Mayonnaise ½ cup
- Ketchup 2 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce 2 tbsp
In a bowl add mayonnaise, red chilli sauce and ketchup and mix well. Keep aside to be used in burger.
For aloo tikki Ingredients:
- Butter 1 tbsp + oil1 tsp
- Ginger 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chillies 2-3 nos. (chopped)
- Green peas 1/4th cup
- Powdered spices:
- Turmeric powder 1/4th tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Jeera powder 1 tsp
- Aamchur powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder 1/4th tsp
- Potatoes 4-5 medium size (boiled)
- Salt to taste
- Poha (flattened rice) ½ cup
- Fresh coriander 2 tsp (chopped)
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Refined flour ½ cup
- Corn starch ½ cup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Water as required
- Refined flour to coat
- Bread crumbs to coat
- Oil for deep frying
- Set a pan on medium heat, add oil & butter, green peas, green chillies and ginger, sauté them for 1-2 minutes.
- Add powdered spices, mix well and sauté for few seconds on low flame, switch off the flame, and grate the potatoes directly in pan, add salt to taste, switch on the flame and keep it on medium heat, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. You can also directly add grated potatoes in the pan to avoid the switching off and on of the flame. *TIP: use boiled potatoes that are refrigerated for at least 1-2 hours.
- Take the aloo mixture off from the heat and transfer it in a bowl.
- Wash the poha with water and rest for 4-5 minutes to soften, keep it aside to add in aloo mixture.
- Further add, soften poha, freshly chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice, mix and combine well, further cool down the mixture to the room temperature.
- Use a cling wrap, butter paper or a foil paper and transfer the potato mixture over the cling wrap, roll tightly and shape it in big size sausage, make sure it should be slightly smaller than your burger buns in diameter, set it in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Take out the aloo mixture from the freezer and slice into 1 cm thick disc. And keep aside for coating.
- Take a mixing bowl and add refined flour, cornstarch and Salt & pepper to taste, mix well and add water to make a semi thick slurry.
- To coat the aloo tikki, first coat it with refined flour and pat & shake to remove excess flour, then dip it in the slurry and coat it well, further coat it with dry seasoned bread crumbs (add salt & black pepper to taste), pat & shake to remove extra crumbs. Follow the same step to coat each aloo tikki. *Tip: make these tikkis and store them in freezer for up to 15 days. Don’t forget to thaw before frying.
- Set oil for deep frying on medium high heat and fry the tikkis until they are crisp and golden brown. You can also choose to air fry them or bake them at 200°C for 7- 8 minutes on both the sides.
- Burger buns as required
- Butter to toast burger buns
- Creamy Tangy mayo as required
- Fried Aloo tikkis as required
- Tomato slices as required
- Onion slices as required
- Cheese slices (optional)
- Set a pan and add butter, toast the burger buns lightly facing on the inside, further spread the creamy tangy mayo over the top burger bun, place the aloo tikki over the bottom burger bun, place a slice of cheese over the aloo tikki and further place some tomato and onion slices and close it with the top burger bun.
- Your aloo tikki burger is ready to be served, make as many you want and serve with some crispy french fries and coke.
*Tip: slice the onions and keep it in ice cold water to retain its crispiness.